News Columnist for The Arizona Republic. E-mail me at ed.montini@arizonarepublic.com

Yes. Clerk's killer should have been deported.

azcentral.com — The man accused of killing young Grant Ronnebeck at a QT store should not have been in the United States. We all know it, no matter where you stand on immigration or border security or national politics. Although some people won't admit it. But we have to be honest.

New third party: Democrats, Republicans, Koch brothers

azcentral.com — They're the Brothers Grimm of American politics. A frightening fairy tale of influence peddling on a scale you and I can't imagine. Only in these stories the boogie man exists. And, worse, there are two of them. To many of us, the two older gentlemen are the mysterious Charles and David Koch.

At AZ's next Super Bowl the grass will be ... smoked

azcentral.com — Sometime in the future, when Arizona next hosts a Super Bowl, there probably will be a marijuana pipe called the "Sooper Bowl" sold at head shops near the stadium; and a "natural grass" sponsorship deal that won't have anything to do with the football playing field, and an "In the Weeds" tent somewhere near the Phoenix Open with no affiliation to the tournament.

Still seeing red over 'problem with whiteness' class

azcentral.com — It almost sounds as if the assistant professor who is teaching (and perhaps dreamed up) an Arizona State University class called "U.S. Race Theory and the Problem of Whiteness" is in hiding. (He is a white guy, by the way.) Most of us who live in Arizona had no idea about this class.

Problem with ASU class isn't 'whiteness' but ignorance

azcentral.com — So now, thanks (or no thanks) to Fox News and the right-wing Internet we're all supposed to be outraged, indignant, offended and positively furious over a class at Arizona State University that has an enrollment of 18 students -- total -- and features five books that none of us (not even the students, I'd guess) will ever read.

Can anyone explain murder over a pack of cigarettes?

azcentral.com — I can't fool you. There are situations I know I should write about but feel unable to do so, inadequate to the task, ill-equipped to say anything wise or perceptive or helpful. So I avoid them. And you call me out. "I've been waiting for a few days now," said the man on the telephone.

Your cheatin' heart will make you ... WIN!

Arizona's Franks leads assault on women's rights, again

azcentral.com — Republican Rep. Trent Franks will take center stage Thursday when Congress is scheduled to vote on an anti-abortion bill sponsored by the longtime Arizona congressman. The Franks bill mimics an Arizona law that was found to be unconstitutional. His bill is based on seriously disputed science.

Of course 1 percenters in Congress hate Obama's plan

azcentral.com — If you're among the richest 1 percent of Americans you probably won't like what President Barack Obama says in his State of the Union address. If you're among the other 99 percent, like most of us, you probably won't understand what President Obama says. Not really. I sure won't.

Honoring Aurora victims like Alex, not their killer

azcentral.com — Not long after their son was murdered in an Aurora, Colo., theater in 2012, Valley couple Tom and Caren Teves asked news writers and columnists like me to use articles about the incident to remind people of the victims, not the killer. They asked us to repeat the victims' names, not the killer's.
More Articles →
Jan 22, 2015

WINTER VISITOR FROM CHICAGO: Who's this Montini clown in the paper? ME: If PHX had a Royko...he'd have Montini's job. Since they don't...

Jan 22, 2015

RT @ShellPatreaux: @ejmontini @azcentral "Good for them" is right! So sick of being the target of their misogyny.

Jan 22, 2015

Belichick channels Claude Rains in "Casablanca." He's shocked, SHOCKED over deflategate. Hmmmmm. azc.cc/1JgA8Uh via @azcentral

Jan 22, 2015

Republican women (wisely) halt Franks' war on women azc.cc/1BFSvD9 via @azcentral

Jan 21, 2015

Unconstitutional. Based on weak science. Expensive to taxpayers. And this congressman's obsession. azc.cc/1BFSvD9 via @azcentral

Jan 21, 2015

RT @RebekahLSanders: Columnist @ejmontini: Arizona's Franks leads assault on women's rights, again azc.cc/1BFSvD9

Jan 21, 2015

You knew they'd hate Obama's speech. Do they also hate women? azc.cc/1BFSvD9 via @azcentral

Jan 21, 2015

Arizona's Franks leads assault on women's rights, again azc.cc/1BFSvD9 via @azcentral

Learn how to connect with EJ on social media by joining Muck Rack Pro



Are You a Journalist?

Make a Portfolio

Create a free Muck Rack account to customize your profile and upload a portfolio of your best work.


Share This Profile