James Taranto on Muck Rack

James Taranto Verified

NYC
Best of the Web Today Columnist, WSJ.com — Wall Street Journal

Political Cycles

online.wsj.com — The most important single election next Tuesday is for governor of Wisconsin. The incumbent, Scott Walker, was elected in the Republican wave of 2010 and embarked in 2011 on a serious, substantive program of reform.

The Gloves Are Off

online.wsj.com — We've got to hand it to NARAL Pro-Choice America (née National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws), which has put out the funniest series of political ads at least since one Christine O'Donnell solemnly intoned to the camera: "I am not a witch."

Doctors Without Scruples

online.wsj.com — Kaci Hickox, the nurse who was briefly quarantined at a Newark, N.J., hospital after flying into the state en route from Ebola-ravaged Sierra Leone, now says she won't comply with the three-week home-quarantine requirements in her home state of Maine.

The Secretary Does Shorthand

online.wsj.com — With 106 weeks to go till Election Day (we're looking ahead), we've already had the first interesting moment of the 2016 presidential campaign. Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton has "cleaned up"-CNN's term-a remark she made during a Friday campaign appearance for Massachusetts' dreadful Democratic gubernatorial nominee, "explaining she had 'shorthanded this point the other day.'

Honesty and Policy

online.wsj.com — Ebola arrived in New York last week, as officials announced Thursday night that Craig Spencer, a physician who'd recently returned from a Doctors Without Borders volunteer mission in Guinea, had developed symptoms after returning to the city. Spencer is receiving treatment at Bellevue Hospital; his fiancee, who is thus far asymptomatic, is under quarantine at the couple's Harlem apartment.

‘The President’s Not Relevant’

online.wsj.com — Alaska's Sen. Mark Begich, a vulnerable Democrat seeking re-election in a Republican state, "didn't dodge . . . when asked whether he personally voted for [Barack] Obama in 2008 and 2012," the Washington Examiner's Rebecca Berg reports form Anchorage. " 'I did, but that's irrelevant,' Begich, the Democratic incumbent from Alaska, told the Washington Examiner.

Blame Canada? - WSJ - WSJ

online.wsj.com — "It is always stunning when a country that has brought violence and military force to numerous countries acts shocked and bewildered when someone brings a tiny fraction of that violence back to that country," the leftist writer Glenn Greenwald observed yesterday.

Unidentified Flying Obama

online.wsj.com — According to Gallup's latest three-day rolling average, 41% of Americans approve of the job President Obama is doing, while 54% disapprove. That adds up to 95%, which raises the question: Who are the other 5%? Some of them, it seems, are Democratic officeholders seeking re-election.

Keepin’ It Real - WSJ - WSJ

online.wsj.com — Barack Obama is at it again. In an interview on "Keepin' It Real," Al Sharpton's radio show, Obama "defended his support for candidates in top races who haven't welcomed Obama to campaign with them," as the Washington Post's Aaron Blake puts it.

The Ebola Panic Panic

online.wsj.com — As if Ebola weren't bad enough, "psychologists are increasingly concerned about another kind of contagion, whose symptoms range from heightened anxiety to avoidance of public places to full-blown hysteria," the New York Times reports. There's a third problem as well. Anxiety over anxiety over Ebola is growing, and in some quarters it has developed into an honest-to-God Ebola panic panic.
More Articles →
Oct 31, 2014

Yesterday I bought a new ENERGY EFFICIENT air conditioner. If global warming doesn't pan out, I hereby take credit.

Oct 31, 2014

.@ByronYork I made fun of this at the beginning of the month. Ornstein's really on the cutting edge, isn't he? online.wsj.com/articles/the-c…

Oct 31, 2014

"The good news for that Dallas fan? The Cowboys are still in first place of the NFC East at 6-2." myfoxdc.com/story/27170354…

Oct 30, 2014

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel editorial page puts on a clinic on ad hominem argumentation. jsonline.com/news/opinion/a…

Oct 29, 2014

RT @jimgeraghty: "The nurse in Maine won't obey the mandatory quarantine." Stephen King, take it from here.

Oct 29, 2014

Sounds like measles. RT @ZekeJMiller: Per pool Ron Klain was spotted at the president's Ebola event

Learn how to connect with James on social media by joining Muck Rack Pro



Are You a Journalist?

Make a Portfolio

Create a free Muck Rack account to customize your profile and upload a portfolio of your best work.


Share This Profile