Ah, back to school season. Fresh notebooks line the shelves of big box stores and school buses clog up work commutes. It feels like a new beginning.
Grab your pen and paper and get ready to take notes on the following links from around the web that are sure to get you in the learning spirit.
Take a look at what’s trending and stick around to read the top five stories from the Muck Rack blog.
1. How our press release ended up on 500 news sites with zero business benefit: When Haje Jan Kamps first saw that a press release for his startup was distributed on 502 news sites, he was ecstatic. Until he realized they generated zero web traffic and absolutely no sales. Read on to learn from his mistakes and make sure your PR efforts count.
2. 10 years of hashtags: 3 lessons for PR and marketing pros: The hashtag is celebrating its 10th birthday and many brands are taking to Twitter to hop on the #Hashtag10 bandwagon. Take a break from celebrating and go back to basics with these three vital community management tips from Beki Winchel.
3. If You Hear One of These Negative Comments When You Pitch Your Big Idea, It Could Mean You Positively Nailed It: People in the comm industry are likely now familiar with the term disruptive. Some of the top brands are stepping outside the box with their campaigns and seeing tremendous results. But getting everyone on board with a new, unfamiliar idea isn’t always easy. If your team members start saying any of the comments in this list by Geoff Cunningham at your next brainstorm session, you just might be onto something.
4. Beyond the buzzword: How to talk about diversity: Although the importance of diversity has increased in recent years, conversation on the topic still tends to fall flat, leading the subject to become more of a buzzword than a topic of genuine discussion. Aerial Ellis shares a list of ways that PR pros (and journalists) can lead the language so that other industries can competently and confidently talk about the topic.
5. Four client service processes you know you should do, but don’t: Whether working for an agency or yourself, most PR pros can agree that time is a natural resource sorely lacking in their day-to-day. Make sure you’re not letting these important client service tasks from Laura Petrolino fall of your to-do list.
Did we miss anything? Share your favorite PR and journalism links from the month of August in the comments below. Tip us off to other great posts for future link roundups by emailing our managing editor at email@example.com.
PS- Muck Rack is looking for guest bloggers! If you’re interested in writing for us, check out our submission guidelines and send us a pitch.