Featured journalist: Matt Petronzio

Today's featured journalist is none other than Matt Petronzio, the Assistant Features Editor at MashableBased at the New York City headquarters, Petronzio is charged with guiding the site’s features content from editing to published, while continuing to write longform articles and cover social good. He's also particularly interested in digital advocacy, viral philanthropy, social media for non-profits, sustainable technology and medical innovation, as evidenced by his list of beats as well as his portfolio. Some of his headline highlights: "Google Maps: Tree Density Tells the Story of Income Inequality" and "For Anybody Hurting: A YouTube Video Confronts Darkness."

Prior to Mashable, Petronzio worked for Guernica MagazineCollege Magazine, W. W. Norton & Company and CURA, a literary magazine of art and action. He is also an MFA candidate in poetry at Hunter College of The City University of New York! He got his start, however, when as a freshman in high school, he made the front page of his school newspaper. He also later served as one of three editors-in-chief there ("Yes, you read that correctly"). Why did he become a journalist? "Money and fame, naturally," he joked.

As for social media's role in journalism, he had more serious words on that subject: "People often break news via social media before media outlets. It can get messy, though; we should always aim to be right, not first."

Remember: If you also want to be featured here, you should 1) set up your own journalist portfolio and 2) let us know by emailing Kirsten.

Learn how to get more press, set up alerts that are "better than Google Alerts" and make reports on the impact of articles.

Request a Muck Rack Demo