Featured journalist: Daylina Miller

We'd like to kick off the week by featuring Daylina Miller, the peerless pink-haired press member from Suncoast News. A multimedia journalist for the twice-weekly newspaper in New Port Richey, Fla., Miller is also a lover of all things sci-fi and horror, especially zombies (wonder what she thought of last night's Walking Dead mid-season finale?). She's also a self-described "steampunk enthusiast, a crazy cat-lady-in-training, a combat boot fashionista, a nerdfighter battling world suck, and a purveyor and reporter of oddities." And also the owner of the best bio, ever.

Miller got an early start in journalism -- aside from acting as Opinion Editor and editor in chief for her high school newspaper, she also wrote monthly columns for the Tampa Tribune as a teen, which is impressive. As for why she embarked on this journalistic journey: "It was a way to make my love of storytelling, writing, multimedia, and the pursuit of truth into a career that (somewhat) pays my bills." And the meaning of journalism: "sifting through piles of crap to find newsworthy gems." 

Her favorite hashtag is #partylikeajournalist (the "go-to hash tag for journalist humor"), and her favorite journalist: Spider Jerusalem from the Transmetropolitan graphic novel series. Be sure to check out her portfolio here, where you can read more of her evocative storytelling in such pieces as "West Pasco author pens pagan children's book" and "The art of abandonment."

Remember: If you also want to be featured here, you should 1) set up your own journalist portfolio 2) get verified and 3) let us know by emailing Kirsten.

Learn how to get more press, set up alerts that are "better than Google Alerts" and make reports on the impact of articles.

Request a Muck Rack Demo