State of our union
Last night, President Obama gave his 2014 State of the Union address. If you missed it, or if you need to reference anything, Chris Cillizza at the Washington Post put together full text of the speech.
Once you’re done laughing about the Pharrell hat, turn to NY1 to see how Rep. Grimm Threatened NY1 reporter Michael Scotto Following the State of the Union. Todd Bishop at GeekWire tweeted: “Yikes.”
Here’s the full story on that from Sarah Wheaton at the New York Times: Rep. Michael Grimm Physically Threatens a NY1 Reporter. Jeff Roberts at PaidContent shared this quote from the story: "According to a transcript .. Mr. Grimm also threatened to throw Mr. Scotto off a [f**ing] balcony.”
And for a real jaw-dropper, read this tweet from Texas representative Randy Weber: “On floor of house waitin on ‘Kommandant-In-Chef’... the Socialistic dictator who's been feeding US a line or is it ‘A-Lying?’” As you can imagine, our journalists were all over it. Here are some of their best reactions:
- Paul DeBenedetto, DNAinfo: “Tweets from an idiot.”
- Igor Volsky, ThinkProgress: “Uh! Why can't Obama just sit down & work w/ Congress?!”
- Sam Stein, Huffington Post: “I had to check if this was one of those fake member of congress twitter accounts. It's not.”
- James Downie, Washington Post: “Go home, Congressman, you're drunk.”
- Blake Hounshell, Politico: “Hard to say what is the best part of this tweet. I think it is ‘Chef.’"
- Spencer Ackerman, Guardian: “Kommandant in Chef would be an incredibly dark Food Network show that I would probably still watch.”
- Aman Batheja, Texas Tribune: “This tweet from TX Rep Randy Weber has drawn 750+ retweets. And the replies to @TXRandy14 = brutal.”