5 reasons we love working in PR
Valentine’s Day has arrived. It’s a day associated with love. Being able to honestly say you love your job is a beautiful and fortunate thing. Although public relations is one of the toughest and most time-consuming jobs, those who embrace the PR vocation love it and here are a few reasons why.
1. We’re a caffeinated profession. I’ve never met a PR pro who doesn’t like coffee. A study by CareerBuilder and Dunkin’ Donuts found that public relations is the second most caffeinated profession, the first being scientists. PR pros are already a productive bunch, throw coffee in the mix and there’s no limit to what we can accomplish. Want to do something special for your friend or loved one who works in PR for Valentine’s Day? Start their morning off with their favorite caffeinated beverage.
2. We love to save the day. PR pros thrive on crisis and thinking on our feet. We sometimes are even disappointed when we don’t receive an urgent text message from the CEO at 10 p.m. Friday. Even more so, we love making a difference in the community. We take pride in helping our company plan and implement corporate social responsibility and sharing helpful knowledge to consumers through newsletters, white papers and interviews.
3. We over-analyze everything. PR pros have a common obsession with over-analyzing, but in the end that is why we get paid. We enjoy having that Sherlock-style intensity to figuring out our client or company’s communication. Of course, we don’t just over-analyze that PR strategy or pitch; it’s a prickly trait we carry to all areas of our lives. So, if you are going to date a PR pro keep that in mind.
4. We’re professional stalkers. And proud of it too! PR pros have to be in-the-know with not only what our publics are saying, but also what information journalists need. We’re constantly on Twitter, email and other forms of networking so our virtual tentacles can pick up any opportunities and monitor conversations. We have an undeniable attachment to social media and our iPhone could easily be mistaken for a boyfriend or significant other.
5. Never a dull moment. Overall, we love PR because there is never a dull moment (even though no one really understands what we do). The first two hours of a day might be devoted to going through Google Alerts and writing an article, the next might involve chatting over lunch with a new client about ideas for a social media campaign. And, of course, you always have to be prepared for an unexpected crisis. We keep ourselves busy, which is just the way we like it.
Happy Valentine’s Day to all our fellow PR pros!
What do you love most about working in PR? Share in the comments below!
Alicia Lawrence is a content coordinator for WebpageFX and blogs in her free time atMarCom Land. Her work has been published by the Association for Business Communication, Business Insider, and Spin Sucks.
Photo: I love my job memo via Shutterstock