What does PR software cost? Prices of media databases, monitoring tools, and press release services
There’s never been a greater need to use new technology and PR software to improve the public relations process, but it’s really hard to figure out what it costs because a lot of companies don’t list pricing. I decided to spend some time researching it so you don’t have to.
Media contact databases, monitoring services and reporting
It was tricky at times to find pricing for these because most don’t list it on their website. They break their services down into several modules, so the base price might not include all of its services (e.g. you might only get a media contact database but no monitoring).
- Cision (formerly Bacon's Publicity Checker and Vocus) - starts at $5,700 annually (source)
- Meltwater - starts at $6,000 annually (source)
- MyMediaInfo - starts at $4,000 annually (source)
- Gorkana (since this blog post was written, it was acquired by Cision) - starts at $10,995 annually (source)
Whatever you do, don't use these services to spam journalists!
Press release distribution services
While there's a big question about the value of using press release services, you can still spend pleanty of money on them. Here's what the major services cost:
- PR Newswire - average cost to distribute a press release estimated at $1,000 (source) but they have a low end service call iReach that starts at $129 (source)
- Business Wire - starts at $400 per release with 400 words (source)
- Marketwired (formerly Marketwire) - about $460.00 per release with 400 words (source)
- PR Web - starts at $99 per release (source)
With PR firms quickly getting into marketing automation, I've added a quick rundown of the major software provider's pricing:
- HubSpot - starts at $2,400 annually (source)
- Marketo - starts at $10,740 annually (source)
- Eloqua (now part of Oracle Marketing Cloud) - starts at $24,000 annually (source)
- Pardot (now part of Salesforce Marketing Cloud) - starts at $12,000 annually (source)
Please let me know if I've missed anything or if you've found different pricing.
(Image: Vintage Style Sale Tags via Shutterstock)