Muck Rack's monthly top picks: 5 links we loved in August
September is here, the dog days of summer are behind us, but that doesn't mean we need to stop the fun! Before we charge on full steam ahead into fall, take a look at some of the top posts in the PR and journalism space online from August. Also, read on to discover the top five stories from right here on the Muck Rack blog.
Links We Loved
1. The depressing pay difference between PR specialists and journalists: Huffington Post assistant media editor Catherine Taibi details a staggering statistic about the pay difference between PR pros and journos: "For every $1 that a public relations specialist made in 2013, a journalist made 65 cents."
2. PR agency: boutique vs. large: Trying to decide what type of PR agency might be the right fit for you? Gini Dietrich outlines the pros and cons of working at a boutique agency and a large, global agency.
3. The worst public relations pitches pegged to Robin Williams's death: We experienced a great loss in August- the death of legendary actor/comedian Robin Williams. Unfortunately, some PR pros attempted to use his death as a publicity opportunity. Here are some of the worst offenders, as outlined by Washington Post's Alyssa Rosenberg.
4. 42 PR and marketing pros you should know over the age of 42: PR pro Arik Hanson noticed a gap when it comes to industry awards: many of them tend to skew toward recognizing those under the age of 40. To highlight those senior level professionals making a difference for their companies and clients, Arik put together these fantastic #42over42 list.
5. Why are there so many women in PR?: It's a common joke in college PR classes and offices alike; the field is absolutely dominated by females. The Atlantic's Olga Khazan set out to answer that question as to why by interviewing 10 professionals. See what she discovered.
Top Posts From The Muck Rack Blog
Did we miss anything? Share your favorite PR and journalism links from the month of August in the comments below. Tip us off to other great posts for future link roundups by shooting us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jessica Lawlor is the features editor for the Muck Rack blog. She is a PR professional in the Philadelphia area and blogs at JessicaLawlor.com about getting gutsy- stepping outside your comfort zone to reach your goals.
PS- Muck Rack is looking for guest bloggers! If you’re interested, check out our submission guidelines and send us a pitch.