Muck Rack’s monthly top picks: 5 links we loved in October
Halloween has come and gone, and the season of lights, carols and cheer is almost upon us. But for many PR pros and journalists, the holiday season marks one of our busiest times of year. To help you stay on track and motivated, we’ve compiled a list of our top PR/Journalism posts from around the web in the month of October.
Take a look at what’s trending and stick around to read the top five stories from the Muck Rack blog.
Links We Loved
1. Fighting sexism in PR: A need for PRSA leadership: The public relations field is approximately 70 percent female. You’d think such a female-dominated industry would be beyond the sexism so rampant in other industries; however, that’s just not reality. Heather Whaling proposes a change to break the cycle.
2. Five networking conversations you need to have before 2016 ends: Networking is such an important part of the industry, but most of us don’t really have it down. David J.P. Fisher offers advice to get you enhancing your skills before the year is out.
3. 4 helpful tools for organizing your social media calendar: Any PR pros doing a large portion of work on social media - this one’s for you! Get organized and save time with this list of tools from Sophia Bernazzani.
4. How PR pros can get inside journalists’ minds: As newsrooms shrink, the number of PR reps eager to get their brand in the headlines is growing. The result: Reporters are drowning in pitches. To get the placements you want, you have to think like a journalist and give them stories they would write themselves. Here are a few tips from PR Daily to bring out your inner reporter.
5. 4 resources to keep writing right and tight: Writing is the cornerstone of any PR program. Whether drafting technical abstracts or colorful consumer pitches, sharp writing separates the good from the great. To polish your skills, try these four resources from Peter McCormack.
Top Posts from the Muck Rack Blog
Did we miss anything? Share your favorite PR and journalism links from the month of October in the comments below. Tip us off to other great posts for future link roundups by shooting us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jessica Lawlor is the features editor for the Muck Rack blog. She is a communications professional, writer, personal branding expert and speaker in the Philadelphia area. After six years in the corporate PR world, Jessica left her job to run her own communications agency, blog/brand and teach yoga. She blogs at JessicaLawlor.com about getting gutsy: stepping outside your comfort zone to reach your goals and live a life that makes you truly happy.
PS- Muck Rack is looking for guest bloggers! If you’re interested in writing for us, check out our submission guidelines and send us a pitch.
Photo: Open notebook via Shutterstock