When does a dad joke become a dad joke?

When it becomes apparent! In honor of Father’s Day, we bring you DAAAAAAAD! On Father's Day, An Homage To The Terrible Jokes They Tell (30,000+ shares) by NPR’s Peter McGraw and Neda Ulaby. And in other Father's Day news, “To all weekend reporters, Bey watch is over: Beyoncé Gives Birth To Destiny's Children,” tweets Subrat Patnaik. As Melody Chiu and Jen Juneau report for People magazine, Beyonce and Jay Z Welcome Twins.

Weekend update

Megyn Kelly Pantses Alex Jones, says POLITICO’s Jack Shafer, leading off with, “The censorious powers of the heckler’s veto have evolved now to the point that people are willing to call for the banning and shunning of works of journalism not yet published.” As Michael Viqueira puts it, “Ignoring a malignancy isn't a cure.”

But Alexander C. Kaufman says, “Forget the Alex Jones sideshow. @HuffPost got some disturbing, unaired footage of Megyn Kelly's Putin interview.” In his piece, Unedited Putin Interview Reveals A Missed Opportunity For Megyn Kelly and America, HuffPost’s Yashar Ali writes that HuffPost obtained footage showing “a nervous Kelly who failed to press Putin on obvious issues.”

A devastating ending

In other news over the weekend, the U.S. Navy has identified the 7 deceased sailors from the guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald, which was involved in a collision with a merchant container ship off the coast of Japan Saturday. Tweets Alex Davies, “It's like walking toward someone where you both move left, then right—just in slow motion and with a louder crunch,” linking to his piece in WIRED, A US Navy Destroyer Collided With a Container Ship in Japan-Here's What Likely Happened. According to the latest from Tim Kelly of Reuters, An hour passed before Japan authorities were notified of Fitzgerald collision.

On Sunday, the US shot down a Syrian Air Force fighter that bombed US-aligned forces, reports AP’s Robert Burns. Today, Andrew Osborn and Dmitry Solovyov report for Reuters that Russia to target any 'flying objects' over Syria where its aviation is active: agencies. Anthony De Rosa explains, “Russia says it will treat U.S. led coalition planes in Syria as targets.” “Expected but bad development: #Russia says it is terminating comms channel w/ US after #Syria shoot-down,” tweets Tara Copp.

USA Today’s Kim Hjelmgaard reports that police have confirmed one death in a van attack in London near a Finsbury Park mosque. As Griff Witte and Karla Adam report in the Washington Post, Van strikes crowd near London mosques in what police are calling ‘terrorist attack’. Tweets Gary Baumgarten, “London van driver reportedly said he wanted to kill more Muslims.” Notes Glenn Thrush, “The president has Tweeted neatly every terror attack by a Muslim in UK and elsewhere. But nothing on this yet. Why?”

And in the US, a 17-year-old Muslim girl was assaulted and killed after leaving Virginia mosque, as the Washington Post’s Faiz Siddiqui, Julie Zauzmer and Sarah Pulliam Bailey report. Tweets Fatimah Waseem, “A Muslim teen walking for a pre-fast meal after night prayers in Virginia. A path many take. A devastating ending.”

This is big

The Washington Post tweets, “Justices to review partisan gerrymandering, setting up a ruling that could be a watershed moment for U.S. elections,” referring to the piece from Robert Barnes, Supreme Court to hear potentially landmark case on partisan gerrymandering (15,000+ shares). Jeremy Breningstall tweets, “Do voters decide their legislators or legislators decide their voters?” “This is big,” says Caitlin Gibson.

And the Stakes in Georgia's Election Couldn't Be Higher, write NBC News’ Chuck Todd, Mark Murray and Carrie Dann. Bradd Jaffy points out, “This is something that actually came out of someone’s mouth. Out loud,” referring to this comment from Brad Carver, GOP chairman of the 11th Congressional District in Georgia: “I’ll tell you what: I think the shooting is going to win this election for us.” For more on that comment and other developments, including, as James Hohmann tweets, “A scary moment: Both candidates in GA-6 have bodyguards. Rs + Ds are scared to go to events bc of risk of violence,” read Hohmann’s reporting in the Washington Post, The Daily 202: Congressional shooting clouds final days of Georgia special election.

Oh, boy

Kate Conger tweets, “Records for 198 million voters leaked, plus GOP campaign research. @dellcam and I take you through it,” linking to her piece in Gizmodo with Dell Cameron, GOP Data Firm Accidentally Leaks Personal Details of Nearly 200 Million American Voters. Or as Mollie Bryant puts it, “A GOP contractor accidentally leaked data on about 60 percent of the U.S. population.” “Oh, boy,” says Carrie Levine. “How do you not even password-protect A TERABYTE of voter data?” wonders Brian Fung. And Natasha Bertrand says, “Very odd. This kind of info is extremely valuable to, say, Russia. & it was stored on a cloud server w/o a password.”

Help wanted

Six resign from presidential HIV/AIDS council because Trump 'doesn't care' (82,000+ shares), reports The Hill’s Jacqueline Thomsen. Meanwhile, Abby Phillip of the Washington Post takes a look at Why Republicans won’t work for the Trump administration (32,000+ shares). Says Ray Locker, “We've had talks like these with potential appointees often. They fear reputational damage.” “A new form of LEAN gov? When no one wants to work for you,” says Robin Elizabeth Herr. “My god this is brutal,” says Alexander Nazaryan. Says Jonathan Chait, “Some very strong reporting here.”

Watergate: The scandal that never ends

Andrew Giambrone links to the exclusive from NBC News’ Ari Melber, Noel Hartman and Liz Johnstone, Memo Shows Watergate Prosecutors Had Evidence Nixon White House Plotted Violence against Daniel Ellsberg and anti-war demonstrators. Adds Nick Pistor, “Always important to be specific. ‘The attack would be on “long-haired demonstrators.”’” And as Gabriel Snyder points out, “It is truly a golden age of investigative journalism... they are now even coming up with historical scoops.”

The future of our noble craft

Tweets Brian Smith, “Considering a donation to support journalism? Great reminder from @Sulliview about the important work of @SPLC,” referring to the new column from Margaret Sullivan in the Washington Post, When student journalists need defending, these lawyers swoop in. For free, which explores the work of the Student Press Law Center. Tweets Sullivan, “I wrote this as a blatant ploy to get more followers among student journalists -- the future of our noble craft.” Says Barton Gellman, “If you want to grow independent journalists, defend them young. No one does more than @SPLC. @Sulliviewexplains.”

And finally, today, “Headline Writer Fulfills Lifelong Dream,” tweets Olivier Knox. He refers you to NASA wants to probe Uranus in search of gas, by Yahoo’s Mike Wehner.  

More Monday reads:

Learn how to get more press, set up alerts that are "better than Google Alerts" and make reports on the impact of articles.

Request a Muck Rack Demo