Another attack in London

A reported explosion in London’s underground this morning closed the District line there, according to Matthew Weaver at The Guardian. “Multiple injuries reported after London tube 'explosion' at Parsons Green,” Claire Phipps added.

The latest from the AP was reports of burns among passengers on the Tube train.

More baffling by the day

North Korea “fires missile from Pyongyang,” BBC reported last night. Japan warned its residents to take shelter.

In the aftermath of the missile launch, Raul Castro gave his personal assurance that Cuba is not involved in the sonic attacks on U.S. diplomats. The AP tweeted: “Alarmed by mysterious attacks on diplomats, usually hostile Cuba offered to let the FBI investigate.” “This story grows more baffling by the day,” Stephanie Kotuby wrote.

Josh Lederman, Michael Weissenstein, Rob Gillies reported on the story for the AP.

Government miserliness

Carol Marbin, Carol Miller at the Miami Herald did some research and found that after Hurricane Wilma, bills were pushed to ensure nursing homes had emergency AC. That sounds like a great idea, except opponents killed those bills. Tim Annett tweeted: “@MarbinMiller tells how industry foes, government miserliness killed bill to ensure A/c for vulnerable storm victims.” David Neal added, “After Wilma, generators were required for service plazas & various buildings. But not nursing homes.”

‘Stop assaulting reporters’

“...Stop making excuses for assaulting reporters,” Matt Pearce tweeted in reaction to news that a UT Austin journalist was assaulted while covering a protest against a bill banning sanctuary cities at the university. That story from Emily Goodell and Samuel Breslow at the Student Press Law Center.

More on immigration: Alex Horton reports in the Washington Post that the U.S. Army killed contracts for hundreds of immigrant recruits. And now, some face deportation. Horton tweeted this quote from this story: "It’s a dumpster fire ruining people’s lives."

Cool cool cool cool

Maggie Haberman and Glenn Thrush at the New York Times ask: Why Did Trump Work Again With Democrats? Answer: ‘He likes us,’ Senator Chuck Schumer says. “Trump, who has no chemistry w Mitch and likes Chuck, is happy making a deal,” Haberman added on Twitter.

Politico also takes what Josh Dawsey calls “a colorful look” Inside Trump's dalliance with Democrats. “Discussing a bipartisan Obamacare fix with lawmakers, President Trump asks: ‘Can I call it ‘repeal and replace?’” Sudeep Reddy tweeted.

In other Trump news, the leader of the free world Resurrected His Claim That Both Sides Share Blame in the Charlottesville Violence on Thursday. That from Mark Landler at the New York Times. “Cool cool cool cool,” Lizzy Duffy said. “SWELL,” Kimberly Winston added. Chris Zappone had another idea: “A nod to base after nice talk with Dems.”

And he also humiliated Jeff Sessions after the Mueller appointment, Michael Schmidt and Maggie Haberman write at the New York Times. Haberman called her story: “A detailed look into what went down btwn Trump and Sessions over last few months. Trump called Sessions ‘disloyal.’”

Amy Fiscus explained: “Trump berated Sessions after Mueller appointment; Sessions called it most humiliating experience of his career.” “Trump told Sessions to resign after Mueller appointment,” Justin Miller.

Polluting outer space

In outer space, the Cassini spacecraft crashed into Saturn, according to Sarah Kaplan at the Washington Post. “That’s a relief. For 20 yrs, I've been worrying about this sucker,” Dan Barkin admitted. Penny Crosman had another thought, “Is the US polluting outer space?”

Elsewhere in the world, a Vatican diplomat was recalled amid a child porn investigation, the AP reports.

In Russia, an LGBT Activist Faces Gay Propaganda Charge For Sharing Links to BuzzFeed Stories On Facebook. That piece is written by BuzzFeed’s own Hayes Brown. “A good reminder of the rolling anti-gay crackdown in Russia,” Ben Smith tweeted.

From New York, things get “weirder and weirder” (as Meg Tirrell tweeted) amid news that Martin Shkreli’s $2 Million Wu-Tang Album Might Not Actually Be a Wu-Tang Album, Devin Leonard and Annmarie Hordern reported in Bloomberg. “The definition of schadenfreude,” Emily Banks tweeted.

At the New York Times, Daniel Victor tells us that Nikon Picked 32 Photographers to Promote a Camera. All 32 Were Men. “This unfortunate circumstance is not reflective of the value we place on female photographers," Nikon told Victor, which he promptly tweeted out.

In Boston, Harvard Kennedy School has rescinded their invitation to Chelsea Manning to be a Visiting Fellow and Dean Douglas W. Elmendorf released a statement about it. “Harvard is truly TRASH... on so many levels. My God,” @prisonculture tweeted. Jessica Lachenal said, “How utterly disappointing.” Mona Eltahawy added, “Oh my god Harvard! First Michelle Jones and now Chelsea Manning? Right wing really does have you running. Wow.”

And on the internet, Facebook Enabled Advertisers to Reach ‘Jew Haters,’ Propublica reports via Julia Angwin, Ariana Tobin, and Madeleine Varner. “Bad news for those want to advertise to "Jew haters." Facebook no longer allows it after @ProPublica discovered it,” Jesse Eisinger.

This is a sad time

Financial Times reporter Paul McClean died in Sri Lanka, the publication said. “He was one hell of a reporter if he was on your case,” the piece says. “The desk to my left is empty. This is a sad time. My heart goes to the friends and family of the charming @PSMcClean,” Katie Martin tweeted. Tony Tassell added, “We are mourning the loss of Paul. Such a bright talent, decent man. I feel for his family who know special he was.”

And the Atlantic has a beautiful tribute to David Carr, Journalism's Super-Mentor, written by Mikaela Lefrak. “Read this. Make sure you have Kleenex nearby, but read this,” Megan Garber insisted.

Learn how to get more press, set up alerts that are "better than Google Alerts" and make reports on the impact of articles.

Request a Muck Rack Demo