These are Americans

Plenty of news to catch up on from the weekend, but we’ll start with a topic that many feel isn’t getting enough attention. “This story on puerto rico is terrifying, and zero urgency from Congress or the White House,” tweets Adam Serwer, who links to Hot, isolated, and running out of supplies, parts of Puerto Rico near desperation, from Samantha Schmidt and Joel Achenbach of The Washington Post. “These are Americans,” Shane Goldmacher reminds us. At The New York Times, Frances Robles and Luis Ferré-sadurní report Puerto Rico’s Agriculture and Farmers Decimated by Maria, and The Washington Post’s Ed O'Keefe spoke via a “shaky cellphone connection” with Puerto Rico governor Ricardo Rosselló, who told him, ‘We still need some more help’ from Washington. And yet, Media Matters’ Bobby Lewis notes, Sunday political talk shows barely cover Hurricane Maria’s devastation of Puerto Rico. Tweets Eric Holthaus, “Sunday morning shows spent less than 60 sec on Puerto Rico, one of the worst humanitarian emergencies in US history.”

Football has always been political

Getting plenty of attention over the weekend: football. At The Atlantic, Megan Garber reports on The Kaepernick Effect: Protests, Across the NFL and Beyond, in Response to Trump. “Such beautiful prose, by @megangarber, on the protest by the NFL today,” tweets Stephanie Schwartz, and Adrienne LaFrance calls it a must-read. In his piece for The New Yorker, Jelani Cobb takes a look at From Louis Armstrong to the N.F.L.: Ungrateful as the New Uppity. Tweets Michael Luo, “.@jelani9 is the voice I've been waiting for on this.” And at The New York Times, Peter Baker writes, A Divider Not a Uniter, Trump Widens the Breach. Philip Bump’s analysis in The Washington Post: Of course Trump’s outrage at the NFL protests had to do with race.

The Wall Street Journal’s editorial board calls it The Politicization of Everything. “WSJ gets it: ‘Everybody loses in the Trump-NFL brawl over the national anthem,” tweets Josh Kraushaar. But Matt Pearce says, “Football has always been political, but political in a way conservatives like — until now.”

In baseball, A’s Bruce Maxwell first MLB player to kneel for anthem, as Susan Slusser reported for SF Gate. Over in the NBA, Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr explains why the Warriors won't visit the White House, sharing his thoughts with Sports Illustrated’s Chris Ballard. Tweets Chris Stone, “#Warriors coach, and ex-high school newspaper exec, Steve Kerr with 1st person piece for @SInow, w/ @SI_ChrisBallard.”

Meanwhile, NASCAR owners say they wouldn’t tolerate national anthem protests at races, as The Hill’s Mallory Shelbourne reports. The Hill tweets, “#BREAKING: NASCAR owners threaten to fire drivers, crew members who protest national anthem.” “Ok, @NASCAR, you are dead to me. For shame,” tweets Scott Huler.

Crooked Jared

“Like rain on your wedding day,” tweets Nicholas Riccardi, referring to Kushner used private email to conduct White House business (248,000+ shares), by POLITICO’s Josh Dawsey, who writes, “The senior adviser set up the account after the election. Other West Wing officials have also used private email accounts for official business.” “I'm old enough to remember when this sort of thing was a big deal,” says Dan Beucke. Carol Leonnig, Philip Rucker and Ellen Nakashima report on the story for The Washington Post in Kushner used private email account for some White House business. “I feel like we've been over this,” tweets Mike Wereschagin. “I eagerly await Trump's ‘Crooked Jared’ tweets…,” says Mark Joyella. At The New York Times, Maggie Haberman and Sharon LaFraniere write, Kushner Used Personal Email Account for Government Business. Tweets Haberman, “The reality of this West Wing - most people are texting and using private email, systemic issue. But most ppl aren't son-in-law of POTUS w history of lack of transparency w reporters early on over Russia contacts.”

?!?!?

New Order Bars Almost All Travel From Seven Countries, reports Michael Shear of The New York Times. Devlin Barrett has the story for The Washington Post, Trump administration changes travel ban countries, and as The Daily Beast’s Betsy Woodruff notes, Trump's Travel Ban Is Back-And This Time It's Forever. “?!?!? Trump's new travel ban specifically targets America's partners in the war on terror,” tweets Noah Shachtman. Meanwhile, Emily Rauhala of The Washington Post asks, Almost no North Koreans travel to the U.S., so why ban them?

Speaking of North Korea, Steve Coll writes in The New Yorker about The Madman Theory of North Korea. Tweets Joe Cirincione, “This is a brilliant article by @SteveCollNY. He explains so much so concisely.”

Is this legislation or bribery?

“May need Haley Joel Osment to tell Trump & McConnell: ‘I see dead people,’” tweets Paul Kane. GOP health bill in major peril as resistance hardens among key senators, report Sean Sullivan and Abby Phillip of The Washington Post. “Is this legislation or bribery? New version of hlth-care bill will help Alaska and Maine — home of 2 holdout sentrs,” tweets Scot Lehigh. “Oink,” says Aine Cryts. CBS News’s Jennifer De Pinto, Fred Backus, Kabir Khanna and Anthony Salvanto report, Poll on Graham-Cassidy Republican health care bill to repeal and replace Obamacare ACA shows most disapprove. Tweets Greg Sargent, “Oof. New CBS poll: Only 20% (!) of Americans, and only 46% (!!!) of Republicans, approve of Graham-Cassidy.”

Zuckerberg 2020 is over, right?

So “Facebook stumbled on Russia's election operations in June 2016 but didn't realize it was part of the Kremlin's play,” tweets Adam Entous, who links to his piece in The Washington Post with Elizabeth Dwoskin and Craig Timberg, Obama tried to give Zuckerberg a wake-up call over fake news on Facebook. “That bit of chatter about ‘Zuckerberg 2020’ is over, right?” tweets Todd Stone. “Paging Aaron Sorkin: Here's your storyline for ‘The Social Network II,’” tweets Will Bunch.

Also, “Here's a thing,” as Nick Niedzwiadek points out: Steve Bannon Sought To Infiltrate Facebook Hiring. That’s the scoop from BuzzFeed’s Joseph Bernstein, who writes, “Steve Bannon plotted to plant a mole inside Facebook, according to emails sent days before the Breitbart boss took over Donald Trump’s campaign and obtained by BuzzFeed News.”

You need to see this

At Axios, Kim Hart writes of “The large parts of America left behind by today's economy,” as Lily Mihalik tweets, linking to Hart’s piece, America's fractured economic well-being. Tweets David Nather, “You need to see this: Today’s economy leaves out vast areas of the country.” “We all know wealth and opportunity are increasingly concentrated in a few places, but man, this map is still stark,” says Sam Baker.

More Monday reads:

Learn how to get more press, set up alerts that are "better than Google Alerts" and make reports on the impact of articles.

Request a Muck Rack Demo