On August 19, 1909 the first edition of the Biggar World rolled off the presses with H. Dillingham as editor. In 1910 Dillingham sold the newspaper to W. J. Huntingford who rechristened it The Biggar Independent, a name which continues a 100 year tradition of conveying local news to subscribers.
In 1912, D.J. Stuart apprenticed with H. C. Skinner who purchased The Independent in 1914, a time when every stick of type was handset. In 1921 a modern linotype (which set type mechanically) and an effi cient fl at bed press was purchased. Source