The county's oldest business institution; established 1856
The Democrat was established in January 1856 by Isaac Grant who moved to Grove Hill from Marengo County where he had helped his brother publish the Jeffersonian in Linden. He married a Clarke County lady, Mary Melissa Pugh, in 1858.
The newspaper's first home was in a former saloon. Stories are told that there were round holes in the floor, water which had been used for rinsing whiskey glasses was poured through them. A mint bed for years grew on the north side of the building, used, no doubt, for southern mint juleps.
The paper was published all through the Civil War, except for a few weeks near the end of the war. Source