The Anderson Independent-Mail, known as Independent Mail, is the local newspaper for Anderson County.
The Anderson Independent-Mail started in 1899 when G. Pierce Brown began publishing the afternoon Anderson Daily Mail. Later, Wilton E. Hall, who had started the Morning Anderson Independent, bought the Daily Mail and published both newspapers for more than 40 years. Harte-Hanks Communications bought the newspapers in 1972 and later combined them as the Independent-Mail. In 1997, The E.W. Scripps Company bought the Independent-Mail, which continues to be the leading daily newspaper serving northwest South Carolina and northeast Georgia. The staff won three National Headliner Awards in the 1990s and consistently wins state and national awards for news, sports and lifestyle reporting, along with advertising awards. In 1996, it became the first South Carolina newspaper to develop a daily electronic edition and website. Source