The paper was founded in 1869 by John D. Morris and Asher Graham Caruth, as the Weekly Kentucky New Era.
In 1881, attorney Hunter Wood (1845–1920) became sole owner of the paper. Daily publication began in 1888, although the weekly also continued publication until World War II. Since 1920, it has been the only newspaper published in Hopkinsville.
In 1997, Hunter Wood's great-great-grandson, Taylor Wood Hayes, became CEO and publisher of the paper. Source