Since 1948, the Madison edition of the Catholic Herald has served as the official newspaper of the Diocese of Madison.
The Diocese of Madison was established in 1946. Bishop William P. O'Connor decided that Madison, which had been previously served by the Catholic papers from La Crosse and Milwaukee, needed a paper of its own and appointed Msgr. Andrew R. Breines as the first editor. From 1948 until his retirement in 1986, Monsignor Breines worked both as a parish priest and as editor, covering the many changes the church experienced during that period. A highlight was the historic Second Vatican Council in the 1960s. Monsignor Breines attended and reported on all sessions of that council for the Madison-area readership. Source