The Morning Bulletin

Newspaper
The first issue of The Bulletin was launched on 9 July 1861. It is the second oldest business in Rockhampton, the oldest being the Criterion Hotel which was established in October 1860. The founder and original owner, William Hitchcock Buzacott (1831–1880, brother of Charles Hardie Buzacott), brought the press and equipment from Sydney in 1861 where he operated a small weekly paper. At the time the paper was called the Rockhampton Bulletin and was eagerly read by the town's 698 residents. The Bulletin's original home was in Quay Street near the old Customs House, in a low wooden building. On 14 August 1862, this was burnt down and the presses destroyed. Buzacott quickly obtained new equipment from Sydney and the newspaper was re-established in a two-storey masonry building in Denham Street. By 1926, the Denham Street building was too small and the newspaper returned to Quay Street in their new (and now heritage-listed) Bulletin Building. Source

Outlet Details

Scope Local
Language English
Country Australia
UVMs Request pricing
Frequency Daily
Days Published Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat