Cortlandt and Nancy Parker founded the Morris Observer newspaper in Morris Township in 1955. In 1957, they purchased the Bernardsville News and the Mendham-Chester Tribune, which was then merged with the Observer.
The company, which is still owned and operated by the Parker family and known as Recorder Community Newspapers, acquired the Mountain Echoes and The Sentinel in 1959, merging them into the Echoes-Sentinel. They purchased the Hunterdon Review and the Somerset Hills Exponent in 1969.
In 1978, the company established its fifth weekly, The Randolph Reporter in Randolph Township, and it extended its coverage area to Mine Hill Township in 1984. Source