Saturday’s Everest is a great credit to NSWR CEO Peter V’Landys. Only he could have brought this concept to fruition. NSW Racing is the richer for it. Well done, Peter! It is also a credit to the sportsmanship of the slot holders, as the sweepstakers are called. They, as a group, have invested $7.2M and will share the $10M up for grabs (with the owners, trainers and jockeys, most likely taking 57.5%, leaving the slot holders with 42.5%). Racing NSW has been rewarded with an exceptional sprint.
It is wrong thinking to change the time-honoured handicapping practice and eliminate the Caulfield Cup winner's penalty, if he is already allocated 56kg and never to go above 56kg. This memorandum seeks to put the case against this move. It should be said at the outset, this change seeks to solve a problem that does not exist. Moreover, it would do real harm to the Melbourne Cup. Cynics suggest this move is to make the Caulfield Cup a more attractive 'funnel' to the Melbourne Cup.
I am constantly given Melbourne Cup form advice by once-a-year punters. It is invariably along the same lines: favourites never win; must be a back marker, i.e. nowhere near the lead; the Northern Hemisphere horses are over-rated; avoid top-weights. As well-meaning as these people are, they should stick to their day jobs.
@domran@AndyHurleyaust Fielding at the Gold Coast (which I still eccentricly mark as STH, as in Southport), sadly ran second. The punters found lots of winners. But the flucs were very fair to on course punters.
@speaktojimmy@Mattunchained Obviously your contention is wrong: trainers scratch least on dry tracks and scratch more and more at each grade of softness. Wet tracks being better for horses, on any view, is a false narrative.
@Mattunchained With love (am married to one) and respect to trainers, they are professional excuse makers. In a survey of 123289 Sydney/Melbourne runs, a horse is more likely to suffer a career-ending injury and retire on soft. Stats expose the truth, even if it is counter-intuitive.
Have often demonstrated, against accepted wisdom, dry tracks better for horses’ soundness. Today in Magic Millions mode: Notwithstanding a severe >year-long drought in breeding areas, best type offer for 10 years & X-ray reports outstandingly benign. Guess they are desert animals
Muck Rack makes it simple to find people, tweets, or articles that mention any name, keyword, company, hashtag etc. We've compiled this guide to help you make the most of your search.
Selecting a term
Start searching tweets, articles from media outlets, articles mentioned in tweets, journalists'
names, titles and bios with some suggested searches:
Companies or Topics (e.g. iPhone, Microsoft)
Phrases (e.g. "cloud computing") — use quotes to keep the terms together
Twitter handles (e.g. @username) — returns those who have mentioned or replied to
Names (e.g. "David Pogue")
Hashtags (e.g. #sxsw, #london2012)
Bio details (e.g. vegan, Olympics, father)
Muck Rack's Advanced Search allows for many boolean operators.
Find results that mention multiple specified terms, use AND or
+. For example, ensure each result contains both Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg by
searching Musk AND Zuckerberg or Musk + Zuckerberg.
Use the operators OR or , to broaden your search when you'd like either of
multiple terms to appear in results. (This is the default behavior of our search when no operators
are used). For example, results will contain either cake or cookie by searching cake OR cookie or cake,cookie
Use NOT or - to subtract results from your search. For
example, searching Disney will yield results about the Walt Disney Company as well as Walt Disney
World Resort. To exclude mentions of Disney World, search for Disney -World or Disney
When using one of these operators with a phrase, enclose it in quotation marks. For example, you can
find results about smartphones excluding Apple's iPhone 4S by searching smartphone -"iPhone
Exact case matching or punctuation
If you're searching for a brand name or keyword that relies on specific punctuation marks or capitalization, you can
find results that match your exact query by adding matchcase: before the keyword you're searching for, like matchcase:E*TRADE .
Use parentheses to separate multiple
boolean phrases. For example, to find journalists talking about having fun in Disney World or
Disneyland, search for ("disney world" OR disneyland) AND fun.
An asterisk can be used to search for any variation of a root word truncated by the asterisk. For example, searching for admin* will return results for administrator, administration, administer, administered, etc.
A near operator is an AND operator where you can control the distance between the words. You can vary the distance the near operation uses by adding a forward slash and number (between 0-99) such as strawberries NEAR/10 "whipped cream", which means the strawberries must exist within 10 words of "whipped cream".