The Journal is a daily newspaper based in Martinsburg, West Virginia and serving Berkeley, Jefferson and Morgan counties in the state's Eastern Panhandle. It is owned by Ogden Newspapers.
The Journal was established as The Evening Journal in 1907 by Harry F. Byrd, a future U.S. Senator and governor of Virginia. Byrd sold the paper in 1912 to associate Max von Schlegell, who sold it to H.C. Ogden in 1923.
The newspaper changed its name in 1913 to The Martinsburg West Va. Evening Journal; in 1920, to The Martinsburg Journal; back to The Evening Journal in 1978; to The Morning Journal in 1990; and to its current name in 1993. Source