When Bowdoin first opened its doors on September 3, 1802, it had two employees: President Joseph McKeen and one professor, John Abbot. Together, they taught eight students. Since then, the College has grown to staff over 945 employees with 1,806 students. But in 2010, Bowdoin reached a new milestone that would affect the distribution of responsibility of administrators and faculty on campus. For the first time in its history, the College began employing more administrators than instructors.