The Index-Journal has been owned by Greenwood families since it was founded on February 6, 1919.
The paper’s original owner was Harry L. Watson, who was also editor and publisher for more than 50 years. The business began operations on Maxwell Avenue on the second floor above a movie theater. The printing press was on a dirt floor on the first level. Source