In many ways, employee referrals set the bar for an employer's brand and are considered one of the best (and cheapest) ways to make a new hire. However, Payscale just released an online report based on surveying 53,000 employees in the workforce to understand who receives a referral from whom and how this impacts a company’s hiring efforts. Their findings may cause hiring and talent acquisition professionals to think more carefully about the impact of their employee referral programs.
When Pete Gombert was building his third technology company in 2010, an article about pay inequality caught his eye — and sparked some important questions for the serial entrepreneur. “I’m an accountant by training and have always been very, very curious about numbers,” Gombert said. “I wondered if we had an issue in our organization, which had probably 120 employees at that time.
As the cofounder of a site where women talk about workplace experiences, I’ve heard from tens of thousands of women about gender equality (or the lack thereof) in their jobs. Based on women’s job reviews of their employers on Fairygodboss, a full 57% of women say they are treated equally and fairly to men at work but unfortunately that still leaves 43% feeling like they don’t experience a level playing field.
Muck Rack makes it simple to find people, tweets, or articles that mention any name, keyword, company, hashtag etc. We've compiled this guide to help you make the most of your search.
Selecting a term
Start searching tweets, articles from media outlets, articles mentioned in tweets, journalists'
names, titles and bios with some suggested searches:
Companies or Topics (e.g. iPhone, Microsoft)
Phrases (e.g. "cloud computing") — use quotes to keep the terms together
Twitter handles (e.g. @username) — returns those who have mentioned or replied to
Names (e.g. "David Pogue")
Hashtags (e.g. #sxsw, #london2012)
Bio details (e.g. vegan, Olympics, father)
Muck Rack's Advanced Search allows for many boolean operators.
Find results that mention multiple specified terms, use AND or
+. For example, ensure each result contains both Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg by
searching Musk AND Zuckerberg or Musk + Zuckerberg.
Use the operators OR or , to broaden your search when you'd like either of
multiple terms to appear in results. (This is the default behavior of our search when no operators
are used). For example, results will contain either cake or cookie by searching cake OR cookie or cake,cookie
Use NOT or - to subtract results from your search. For
example, searching Disney will yield results about the Walt Disney Company as well as Walt Disney
World Resort. To exclude mentions of Disney World, search for Disney -World or Disney
When using one of these operators with a phrase, enclose it in quotation marks. For example, you can
find results about smartphones excluding Apple's iPhone 4S by searching smartphone -"iPhone
Exact case matching or punctuation
If you're searching for a brand name or keyword that relies on specific punctuation marks or capitalization, you can
find results that match your exact query by adding matchcase: before the keyword you're searching for, like matchcase:E*TRADE .
Use parentheses to separate multiple
boolean phrases. For example, to find journalists talking about having fun in Disney World or
Disneyland, search for ("disney world" OR disneyland) AND fun.
An asterisk can be used to search for any variation of a root word truncated by the asterisk. For example, searching for admin* will return results for administrator, administration, administer, administered, etc.
A near operator is an AND operator where you can control the distance between the words. You can vary the distance the near operation uses by adding a forward slash and number (between 0-99) such as strawberries NEAR/10 "whipped cream", which means the strawberries must exist within 10 words of "whipped cream".