It was busy last week in Sacramento as legislators made final pushes up to the Sept. 15 end of the session. Both North Coast lawmakers registered some wins as bills authored and introduced by state Sen. Mike McGuire and Assemblyman Jim Wood survived legislative votes. Here are a few of the locally inspired bills that will be heading to Gov. Jerry Brown’s office for a signature to sign the bills into law. Affordable housing >> McGuire is the lead author of SB 3, a $4 billion affordable housing bond.
This week, Humboldt County residents may want to pack an umbrella when leaving the house. The possibility of showers is in the forecast for the better part of the week, according to a National Weather Service Eureka meteorologist. “In Humboldt this week we have a series of weak systems coming,” said meteorologist Richard Lam. “We see potentially some rain.”Lam said there was a 20 percent to 30 percent chance of rain Sunday night. By Tuesday, those chances increase to 70 percent to 80 percent.
After the dissolution of the group that organized Humboldt Pride up until last year, the road to rebuilding a longstanding community festival has been rough. Some might call “rough” an understatement. While the goal, according to current organizers, is to bring more unity, at least one local group is feeling frustrated. “It’s triggered our PTSD,” said Clinton Ellis-Gilmore, one of the members of Redwood Veterans Honor Guard who has participated in several of the Pride planning meetings.
Muck Rack makes it simple to find people, tweets, or articles that mention any name, keyword, company, hashtag etc. We've compiled this guide to help you make the most of your search.
Selecting a term
Start searching tweets, articles from media outlets, articles mentioned in tweets, journalists'
names, titles and bios with some suggested searches:
Companies or Topics (e.g. iPhone, Microsoft)
Phrases (e.g. "cloud computing") — use quotes to keep the terms together
Twitter handles (e.g. @username) — returns those who have mentioned or replied to
Names (e.g. "David Pogue")
Hashtags (e.g. #sxsw, #london2012)
Bio details (e.g. vegan, Olympics, father)
Muck Rack's Advanced Search allows for many boolean operators.
Find results that mention multiple specified terms, use AND or
+. For example, ensure each result contains both Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg by
searching Obama AND Romney or Obama + Romney.
Use the operators OR or , to broaden your search when you'd like either of
multiple terms to appear in results. (This is the default behavior of our search when no operators
are used.) For example, search for democrat OR republican to find results that refer to
Democrats and/or Republicans.
Use NOT or - to subtract results from your search. For
example, searching Disney will yield results about the Walt Disney Company as well as Walt Disney
World Resort. To exclude mentions of Disney World, search for Disney -World or Disney
When using one of these operators with a phrase, enclose it in quotation marks. For example, you can
find results about smartphones excluding Apple's iPhone 4S by searching smartphone -"iPhone
Exact case matching or punctuation
If you're searching for a brand name or keyword that relies on specific punctuation marks or capitalization, you can
find results that match your exact query by adding matchcase: before the keyword you're searching for, like matchcase:E*TRADE .
Use parentheses to separate multiple
boolean phrases. For example, to find journalists talking about having fun in Disney World or
Disneyland, search for ("disney world" OR disneyland) AND fun.
An asterisk can be used to search for any variation of a root word truncated by the asterisk. For example, searching for admin* will return results for administrator, administration, administer, administered, etc.
A near operator is an AND operator where you can control the distance between the words. You can vary the distance the near operation uses by adding a forward slash and number (between 0-99) such as strawberries NEAR/10 "whipped cream", which means the strawberries must exist within 10 words of "whipped cream".